Thursday 8 September 2011

My tech geek like iPhone favourites



So who's not got an iPhone yet? Did you justify it to your other half as 'a useful business tool' or did you just fes' up and admit it's a pre-requisite tech geek purchase.

Now you've got your iPhone what apps are you going to download. I admit to being very selective over my app purchases. I don't succumb to impulse downloading the latest free app that you use once and then never revisit - I evaluate, read fellow apple followers reviews and ponder the question 'do i really need this? Will it enrich my life?" - Although I don't feel I can truly justify my 'FallingFred' purchase.

I must admit having an iPhone/iPad has unchained me from my desktop bound Mac. I now have the freedom to create and edit a variety of documents on the go and with the advent of iCloud in September/October this year will only enhance and synchronise this workflow even further. I've even fully embraced social media like twitter, tumblr, facebook and the like.

Below are my personal top 5 favourites (in no particular order):

1. Dropbox
A fantastic cloud based service that can auto sync folders and files between multiple platforms. It even includes built-in readers for PDFs and Microsoft Office files.

2. Evernote
This is similar to dropbox in that it lets you save data and syncs across all your gadgets. Great note taking or code snippet cataloging tool.

3. Analytics App
In light of the fact that Google hasn't to date released an official Analytics app this is by far the best option I've found.

4. Twitter
Need I say more!

5. Instagram
I use this for uploading any photos i take to post on to my social media.

Obviously there's a whole host of other apps I could have mentioned like Plain Text, Wordpress, Skype, Zapd etc the list could be endless and like everyone its all down to personal preference.

I realise that not everyone has an iPhone or even wants one, and this might be for a variety of reasons - they're too expensive, they don't have a desktop mac/pc to sync to etc. Hopefully though with the launch of iCloud which doesn't tie the device to a desktop mac/pc and the rumoured advent of a cheaper stripped down iPhone coming out later this year this should open up the platform to even more users. Until then as the current apple iPhone ad says "If you don't have a iPhone... [insert your own conclusion here].

No comments: